Almond-Cornmeal Strawberry Shortcakes
Here, my friends, is an absolutely killer dessert that will amaze and astound your guests. And it is perfect for this time of year, when fresh, locally-grown strawberries are at their peak.
6 Tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature, plus a little more to grease the muffin tins
1/2 cup all-purpose flour, plus a little more for the tins
3/4 cup sliced almonds
3/4 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
1 pound strawberries
1/3 cup plus 1 Tbsp sugar
3/4 cup heavy cream
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Butter and flour 6 jumbo muffin tins (1 cup capacity size), set aside
3. In food processor, blend 1/2 cup almonds with sugar until finely ground.
4. Add butter, eggs, vanilla and salt, process until combined, scraping sides of bowl as necessary
5. Add flour and cornmeal; pulse just until moistened.
6. Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin tins; sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup sliced almonds.
7. Bake until golden (20-25 minutes), until a toothpick comes out clean.
8. Cool five minutes in tins, then remove and cool completely on a baker’s rack.
1. Hull and quarter strawberries. Combine with 1/3 cup sugar.
2. Let stand until syrupy, tossing occasionally (at least a half hour, and up to 6 hours, covered and refrigerated)
3. In a mixing bowl, whip cream with 1 Tbsp sugar until soft peaks form.
1. With a serrated knife, split shortcakes horizontally in half.
2. Place bottom half on serving plates.
3. Top with sweetened strawberries, then whipped cream, and cover with shortcake tops.
For a slight variation, add 1 Tbsp Amaretto DiSaronno (did you make your own? See below) to the strawberries along with the sugar.
Serve immediately. Makes 6.