Why I’m Here…
Why I’m Here
Welcome to Jeff’s Kitchen. Inspired by friends who have sampled my cooking and by my years working at the famous gourmet shop in South Beach, this is the place to post those fabulous recipes we all know and love, along with a picture, a story, an event, a person, place or thing, or whatever you feel the need to unload. The operative piece of equipment here is your brain, a saute’ pan, a piping bag, and the desire to make the world better because of the food you prepare with your own two hands.
Tell Me Why…
Don’t just post, tell me a story. Tell me where you found the recipe, tell me what appeals to about it, tell me who you dazzled with your best moves in the kitchen (or elsewhere–as long as food is involved). I’m not just the best virtual chef you know, but also a pretty good storyteller. But I want to know yours. I do like stories with my recipes, and storytellers in the kitchen. Join me in the fun.
And if this isn’t enough to whet your whistle, Here’s the best damn Key lime pie recipe on the planet. I got this from an old guy who ran a donut shop on Marathon Key, and on any day, between the hours of six and ten a.m., he sold more Key lime-filled donuts out of his rundown shack on the southbound side of A1A than all the donuts sold at the local Dunkin’ Donuts down the road. With his assistance, we turned this recipe into a world-famous pie, which we’ve been selling at South Beach’s most famous crab house for more than fifty years. The pie has become the signature dessert for that crab house, and is world renowned. And we invented it. And we made it for them. To use with their own name attached to it. And I saw it on Food Network on cable. So make it yourself. And then, write me. Tell me the story about the results. That’s what Chefzilla’s Kitchen is all about. Let’s share our best recipes and make this the coolest food place on the planet. Or any planet.
3/4 cup of Grahm cracker crumbs
3/4 cup toasted pecans chopped fine
1 stick of melted butter (use margarine and I’ll take this recipe back!).
5 room temperature egg yolks
2-14 oz. cans sweetened condensed milk. I use fat-free SCM, and my family can’t tell the difference.
1/2 cup FRESH SQUEEZED Meyer lemon juice
1/2 cup FRESH SQUEEZED Persian lime juice
grated zest of 1 lime
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. For the crust, combine the cracker crumbs, chopped nuts and butter in a 9-inch straight sided pie plate. Pat firmly and shape the crust a half-inch up the sides of the pie plate.
3. Bake for 10 minutes or until the crust begins to brown on the edges of the sides.
4. Combine all the other ingredients until they are well mixed. Pour into the crust.
5. Bake the pie for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and cool to room temperature.
6. Freeze the pie for at least six hours, and preferably overnight.
7. Remove the pie from the freezer 1 half hour before serving. NO MORE!!!!!
8. Serve with a big dollop of fresh-made whipped cream. DO NOT USE READY WHIP OR MERENGUE. PLEASE!!
9. Serve to someone who will repay you handsomely for the most incredible treat you have ever prepared. They will respond, “Damn, this is the best key lime pie I ever ate. It’s better than any I ever got in a restaurant.