Nutty Pumpkin Bread
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 12 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup wheat germ
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon EACH ground ginger, nutmeg, and cloves
2 cups cooked pumpkin (1 14- to 16-oz. can)
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
4 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1 cup golden raisins
1. Soak the raisins 1/2 hour in warm water. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Combine the first nine ingredients (AP flour thru spices) in a large bowl, mix well, then form a well in the center of the mixture.
3. Add the remaining ingredients into the well of the dry mixture and combine gently until the dry ingredients are moist. Do not overmix.
4. Pour the batter into two 9x5x4 loaf pans that have been sprayed with baking spray or canola oil.
5. Bake until the tops are browned and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 45 – 50 minutes. Cool the loafs on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then turn them out onto the rack to cool completely before serving.
Possible substitutions: Brown raisins or dried cranberries can be used instead of golden raisins; walnuts can be used in place of pecans, and cooked butternut squash can replace the pumpkin.
Serve with a nice thick, hot soup or toasted with butter or cream cheese, or just plain plain.